I am aware of one elementary school counselor taking a child who had made remarks about killing another person and working with him to help develop compassion and understanding for that person. It is too early to know how that child will turn out, but I would bet money that he now has a better chance of escaping an antisocial lifestyle.
Here are some ways to help the bully:
- Don't minimize the problem, treat it seriously.
- Don't believe everything your child tells you--check out the facts.
- Try to find out why your child is exhibiting bullying behavior, get professional help if necessary.
- Let your child know that bullying behavior is not tolerated.
- Don't model bullying behavior, such as threats, slaps, etc.
Have you had an experience with bullying? I would be interested in hearing about it.