Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Write with Passion

     I returned last week from the annual Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference in Miami. It was a great conference with plenty of agents,editors, and successful writers to meet and learn from. 

     One of the best sessions was taught by Sarah Davies, an agent with the Greenhouse Literary Agency. She emphasized writing stories that take your breath away, that make the reader contemplate the human condition and to think--What if...?

     She absolutely sold me. My goal is to write with passion and to write stories that make one pause, that make one see in a new way, that make one feel a connection to the characters. Not an easy task, and I know it won't be easy for me; but I want to do this. So there it is--my goal for this year. 

     Have you read any stories lately that took your breath away? I would love to hear about them.

2 comments:

  1. Not a story but a full-length novel: Room by Emma Donoghue. I read the whole book in one day (despite having company for dinner). I told a friend about it, and she did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I'll definitely put Room on my list of books to read. In fact, I'll probably read it next since it comes with such a high recommendation.

    ReplyDelete